ConventionSouth

SEP 2017

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/876668

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 10 of 67

S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 7 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 11 Customer Advisory Boards. These volunteer opportunities connect you with other plan- ners looking to improve the way planners and cities interact with one another. I love hearing the cutting-edge ideas CVBs have to ignite and engage citywide groups, as well as the ideas planners have for cities to better grasp what's important to planners and attendees. It's also a great way to get involved in communities that directly impact your attendee experience. What types of changes have you seen in this industry and how have they affected you? Vendor return on investment has really transformed since the recession and I've seen this change transpire in both the non- profit and corporate sectors. Vendors are realizing in this age of technology and individual empowerment, that they can connect with consumers and employees directly. That means when they decide to connect to consumers or employees through a third-party event, they expect more one- on-one connections, and to be able to better track engagement and outcome. This really puts pressure on planners to design innovative ways to ensure that vendors are getting that one-on-one time with attendees. The days of vendors being happy seeing 10,000 people in a booth are waning. These days, vendors prefer to have a more authentic one-on-one experience with 1,000 people. What are the best things about your job? What I love most about my job is collaborating with others to design a vision and then bringing that vision to life! There is nothing more exciting than seeing the months of work you've done come together to create a unique, engaging and exciting experience for your vendors and attendees. My favorite part of planning is thinking out- side the box to come up with innovative ways to connect vendors and attendees. Luckily, in the gaming industry, our vendors and attendees are always up for trying new, and sometimes interesting, experiences. What are the biggest day-to-day challenges you face? Time management and delegation. As planners, there's never enough time in the day to manage all the details you need to attend to. It's so important to surround yourself with a team you trust and learn to delegate. What are some of the most interest- ing (good or bad) experiences you have had as a planner? I always say as a planner, there's no telling what will come your way. In my experience, I've dealt with everything from porta-potty security to videos analyzing vampire body parts. As planners, we all have hundreds of interesting experiences, both good and bad. But finding those moments of true joy in what you do are always the best experiences; like seeing firsthand the funds I've raised at an event at work in a hospital NICU saving babies…absolutely indescribable! Or seeing thousands of passionate gamers go CRAZY because they are the first in the world to see a never-been-seen video-game…that's fun! What advice would you offer to other planners? Stay calm and find a way to decom- press. As planners, we know that no matter how long you plan, or how detailed you are, nothing ever goes perfectly. The trick is to stay calm and think on your feet. There's always a creative solution at hand, and if you can find it while remaining calm, you'll look like a pro. Being a planner also means we have one of the top 10 most stressful jobs in America, right behind being a police officer, a pilot, or in the military. Hey, managing millions of tiny details is exhausting! So, we have to find a way to decompress. It's really import- ant to make time for yourself in today's 24/7 tech world. n Q: '' "What I love most about my job is collaborating with others to design a vision and then bringing that vision to life! There is nothing more exciting than seeing the months of work you've done come together to create a unique, engaging and exciting experience for your vendors and attendees." Q: Q: Q: Q: Vogel greets attendees at GameStop event.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - SEP 2017