ConventionSouth

AUG 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/565073

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 13 of 111

It doesn't take long to discover why Arkansas is called the Natural State. Extraordinary adventures await, from the Ozark Mountains and the mystical Ouachita Mountains to the hot springs that have been used for their healing properties for centuries. With 9,000 miles of pristine streams and rivers and more than 600,000 acres of lakes, Arkansas contains a plethora of choices for fishing, hunting and water fun such as sailing, scuba diving, boating, rafting and kayaking. Preserved forests, lakes, rivers and streams run through the Ozark Mountains, and breathtaking limestone caves with flowstone, helictite, stalagmite and stalactite formations offer dazzling views of what lies beneath the Ozarks. Subterranean lakes and streams, mazes, crystals, fossils and cave creatures such as blind trout and salamanders are all part of the cave experience. Those desiring a more physically challenging caving adventure should venture to Hurricane River Cave, Cosmic Caverns, War Eagle Cavern and Blanchard Springs Caverns for guided wild caving tours. Diamond mining at the world's only public diamond mine, the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, is another unique experience to be had in Arkansas. After mining for diamonds, visitors can try the dig-your-own Crystal Mines in destinations such as the Ouachita Mountain hamlet of Mount Ida, the Quartz Crystal Capital of the World. Cross the Bridge into Bentonville Art Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville gets its name from a natural spring on the property that feeds into the museum ponds as well as the bridge construction incorporated into the building design by renowned architect Moshe Safdie, known for incorporating local geographic, social and cultural elements into his designs. Situated on 120 acres, the park encompasses six galleries, a restaurant, a library, a sculpture trail, classrooms and a grand hall for special events. n w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ 2 0 1 5 / 2 0 1 6 M E E T I N G S I T E S G U I D E 14 Arkansas City Map Location Page Bentonville........................A1.................15 Conway ...........................C3.................15 Eureka Springs ...............B1.................15 Fayetteville ......................A2.................15 Fort Smith .......................A3.................15 Hot Springs .....................B4.................15 Little Rock .......................C3.................16 North Little Rock .............C3.................17 Pine Bluff ........................D4.................17 Rogers..............................A1.................17 Sherwood.........................C3.................17 Springdale ........................A1.................17 Texarkana.........................A5.................17 A B C D E F 1 2 3 4 5 6 Fran Morley Become Submerged in Little Rock's Maritime Celebration Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum in Little Rock offers guided tours through a World War II submarine USS Razorback (SS-394) and houses exhibits highlighting America's naval history. The Arkansas River Historical Society has a collection presenting the history of the Arkansas River. The North Shore Riverwalk Park that encircles the museum features two memorials dedicated to submarines USS Snook (SS-279) and USS Scorpion (SSN-589). The Peace Garden is a place for the community and visitors to celebrate the ideal of peace taking the place of a war-torn world. n Awe so m e R . O. E. Crystal Bridges Museum

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - AUG 2015