ConventionSouth

APR 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/501303

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 13 of 51

⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ A P R I L 2 0 1 5 w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 14 The Great Outdoors Location can go a long way toward making a corporate meeting more interesting, according to several respondents, who noted that getting meeting attendees somewhere they can experi- ence the outdoors—or at least someplace with views of the outdoors—helps keep things ener- gized. Nancy Stanley, director of marketing for the St. Joe Club & Resorts in WaterSound, Fla., suggested that a unique location, such as a stretch of beach or coastal dune lake, helps peo- ple keep interested. Lauren Swoboda with Hayworth Public Rela- tions said one way the team at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa keeps meetings lively is holding a meeting outside on the deck with break times for team building in the sand, with activities like beach bowling and sandcastle building.HThey've also arranged a meeting to take place in a cabana on the pool deck, adding finger food and starting a tab at the property's Barefoot's Beachside Bar & Grill. "The weather was beautiful," relayed Swo- boda, "and all the guests commented that all meetings should be like this." Stanley pointed out that "nothing inspires energy and excitement quite like a fresh, invigor- C O R P O R A T E M E E T I N G S A dd Energy & Excitement Friendly competitions make corporate meetings memorable. Reinvigorating The Corporate Meeting !!! The generic corporate meeting can sometimes be…well, let's face it, boring. So ConventionSouth asked representatives from host destinations and event venues what they can do to enliven board meetings and other corporate meetings. Most meeting and event professionals have had this experi- ence: You've been sitting for what seems like days trying hard to listen to someone who is just droning on and on in a tired mono- logue about something or other or presenting a lame Power- Point about some aspect or another of your business. Important stuff to be sure but you've hit that point where you just can't re- ally tune in anymore. Your eyes are glazing over, you're strug- gling not to nod off. We've all been there. So what could organizers and hosts do to enliven corporate meetings? How do you energize and add excitement to these very important but sometimes tedious proceedings? Respondents to our inquiries into the matter repeatedly touched on several key elements, using terms like "creativity," "thinking outside the box," "unique" and "fun." And they proved that they not only talk the "creative" talk, but they also walk the walk. By T. Wayne Waters C a b i n B l u f f

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - APR 2015