SEP 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue

Page 28 of 59

S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 5 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 29 S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 5 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m Louisiana E V E N T P L A N N E R ' S G U I D E T O LA L O U I S I A N A B A Y O U Water is a defining feature of this state. The Mississippi River shoots down its center and spills into the Gulf of Mexico. Swamps, marshes, bayous, canals, rivers and lakes provide exceptional recreational opportunities. BY T. WAYNE WATERS PICK YOUR PASSION "Pick Your Passion" is the tagline the Louisiana Department of Culture, Rec- reation & Tourism uses to entice visitors. It's fitting for a state as large and as wildly diverse as Louisiana. One element of the diversity is cultural and en- compasses prominent French, Spanish, Cajun, Creole and African-American historical influences. Another type of diversity is found in the demographics of a state that contains cities of all sizes, from New Orleans to mid-size cities such as Baton Rouge, Shreveport and Lafayette, and smaller cities through- out. Whatever suits your particular needs, you're sure to find it somewhere in Louisiana. ALEXANDRIA/ PINEVILLE On the banks of the Red River, halfway between New Orleans and Shreveport, Alex- andria and neighboring Pineville are right in the middle of Louisiana, an area rich in history with many options for outdoor adventure. "The Alexandria/Pineville area offers great location and accessibility," said Alexandria/ Pineville Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) Executive Director Sherry Ellington. "Being in the center of Louisiana, it is easily accessible by highway or by plane. Alexandria International Airport is a state-of-the-art facility equipped to handle even large con- vention arrivals. And with the renovations of the downtown hotels, the walkability of the downtown Cultural Arts District and the space provided by the Alexandria Riverfront Center, the Alexandria/Pineville area is not only con- venient but a conventioneer's dream location with places to go after the convention and plenty of options for local dining." The area's primary meeting space is found at the Alexandria Riverfront Center and a hotel "boomlet" is revitalizing the area's meeting ➤

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - SEP 2015