ConventionSouth

JUN 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/528945

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 30 of 51

J U N E 2 0 1 5 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 31 Coastal I N S I D E R ' S G U I D E T O V I R G I N I A VA N O R F O L K W A T E R S I D E A n a c c e s s i b l e u r b a n d e s t i n a t i o n , N o r f o l k h a s 1 4 4 m i l e s o f s h o r e l i n e . BY T. WAYNE WATERS CHARMING & COLORFUL It's only a few hours by car from Washington, D.C., Roanoke, Va., and the North Carolina Triad cities of Raleigh, Durham and Greensboro; not much further from Baltimore; less than five hours from Philadelphia and Charlotte. It's only a hop, skip and a jump away from anywhere via one of the five airlines serving Norfolk International Airport or Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport. It's Coastal Virginia and it's a beautiful area with mile upon mile of beach; mile upon mile of riverbank and bay; an area full of history and culture and, oh yeah – exceptional meet- ing spaces, first-class hotels, and plenty of great seafood, brew and wine. It's home also to a several prominent cities – Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News, Chesapeake and Hampton. VIRGINIA BEACH Virginia Beach is the eastward-most coastal Virginia city, but there's much more to the city than geography. "Beyond the scope of your business day, we have three very distinctively different beaches and myriad attractions and activities to take advantage of in Virginia Beach," said Todd Bertka, vice president, convention sales and marketing for the Virginia Beach Conven- tion and Visitors Bureau (VBCVB). "When meeting planners consider a destination, what attendees can do beyond the meeting is re- ally important. We're not the Virginia Beach you might have pictured five or 10 years ago. We've really evolved and come alive with quality dining options, as well as entertainment and leisure options." Photos courtesy of Visit Norfolk V I R G I N I A B E A C H H A M P T O N N O R F O L K N E W P O R T N E W S C H E S A P E A K E

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - JUN 2015