ConventionSouth

APR 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/501303

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 34 of 51

A P R I L 2 0 1 5 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 35 "The biggest challenge we see is that people have never been here, but seeing is believing," said Oklahoma City CVB Vice President of Sales Dennis Johnston. Indeed, folks at the 2015 ConventionSouth Readers' Choice Award-winning OKC CVB began a marketing campaign last year—OKC- ing is Believing—aimed at tourists and meet- ing planners alike who had never visited. "It's been amazingly successful," said Johnston. "We produced a direct mailing piece that in- cluded a high-def video player inside it. We sent it out to about 450 meeting planners and it has absolutely stunned us in its reception." What really has Johnston and his OKC CVB colleagues excited is the brand new 350,000-square-foot downtown convention center that will break ground in 2016. "It will be part of a 60-acre development," said Johnston. Also new: The Embassy Suites Oklahoma City Downtown Medical Center, which opened in January, and three other hotels under construction. OKC's Major Convention Hub Conveniently located in the heart of downtown, the Cox Convention Center provides 100,000 square feet of exhibit space, a 25,000-square- foot ballroom, 21 meeting rooms and a 15,000-seat arena. The facility underwent light- ing and carpeting upgrades in 2014. SAVOR… Oklahoma City handles the catering and con- cessions for the facility. In addition, the center is home to The Blue Line restaurant and bar. The SMG-managed center is a 2015 ConventionSouth Readers' Choice Award ‰ The staff at the Oklahoma City (OKC) Conventon & Visitors Bureau (CVB) knows that lots of people haven't made their way to the Sooner State's capital. Many don't know about the allures of Bricktown or the Myriad Botanical Gardens or the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. Nor that OKC has a huge downtown conventon center and some 1,600 hotel rooms within a few blocks. Or that flying into the city is a breeze at Will Rogers World Airport which, with the recent additon of Alaska Airlines, is now served by seven major airlines. O k l a h o m a C i t y I N S I D E R ' S G U I D E T O O K L A H O M A O B R I C K T O W N Oklahoma City's ho0est entertainment and dining district has the mile-long Bricktown Canal, serviced by Bricktown Water Taxis. Oklahoma University Sooners University of Central Oklahoma Oklahoma City CVB Edmond CVB Oklahoma University

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - APR 2015