ConventionSouth

JUN 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/528945

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 35 of 51

w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m E D I T O R ' S HOT PICKS TOP PICKS: Chesapeake CVB (888) 889-5551 www.visitchesapeake.com Located in the heart of Coastal Virginia, Chesapeake is in perfect proximity to all the nearby attractions the region offers. The Founders Inn & Spa (757) 366-5716; www.foundersinn.com Minutes from the airport – miles from distractions. The only IACC conference center in Virginia Beach - complimentary parking, internet, and seasonal shuttle service to the oceanfront. See Ad on page 22. Hampton CVB (800) 487-8778; www.visithampton.com Purchase a Sea to Stars Ticket for specially priced admission to five exciting Hampton attractions. Virginia Beach CVB (800) 700-7702 www.visitvirginiabeach.com/meetings Virginia Beach provides a distinctive vibe, state-of-the-art facilities, energy-efficient venues, coastal cuisine and a variety of attractions." VisitNorfolk (800) 368-3097 www.visitnorfolktoday.com/meet There's 144 miles of shoreline waiting to be explored in Norfolk, the heart of the Virginia waterfront! FOLLOW UP: Newport News Tourism Development Office www.newport-news.org COASTAL VIRGINIA IN-DEPTH Visit www.ConventionSouth.com for more about Coastal Virginia through our interactive Insider's Guide with maps, videos & more. C O A S T A L V I R G I N I A ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ J U N E 2 0 1 5 36 International Airport include the 123-room Comfort Inn Newport News, the 122-room Hilton Garden Inn, the 120-room Hampton Inn & Suites, and the 120-room Courtyard Marriott Newport News Airport. LEARN & HAVE FUN! The Mariners' Museum and Park in Newport News is a multifaceted educational and recre- ational facility that can be rented for meetings and events for up to 300 people. The complex sits in a 550-acre park that includes 167-acre Lake Maury and the Noland Trail, a five-mile shoreline trail with 14 bridges. The museum exhibits showcase everything from the steam- boats to miniature ships to luxury liners, and houses the largest maritime library in the Western hemisphere. HAMPTON In the center of Coastal Virginia, Hampton offers a history museum, the nation's oldest African-American museum, a 19 th -century fort designated a National Monument, a restored vaudeville house-turned-contemporary perfor- mance art venue, two nature parks and double- deck tour boat cruises. MEETING SPACES AND HOTELS The 344,000-square-foot Hampton Roads Convention Center is a striking building with a 102,600-square-foot exhibit hall, and a grand ballroom with banquet seating for more than 2,000. Maritime features are evident inside and outside the building. The 84,000-square-foot, 11,000-seat Hampton Coliseum, on the same campus as the conven- tion center, can accommodate up to 2,000. The 295-suite Embassy Suites Hampton Roads, connected to the convention center by a covered walkway, has a Spa Botanica and an in- door pool. Also at this site, the 149-room Hilton Garden Inn Coliseum Central has a full-service restaurant and 2,300 square feet of meeting space. The Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina's grand ballroom seats 500 for a banquet, and the waterside ballroom seats 200. The property has a full-service restaurant and a lounge overlooking the marina. LEARN & HAVE FUN! The Virginia Air & Space Museum (VASM) highlights the history and technology of airborne travel and accommodates up to 2,000 people for corporate events. More than 20 types of aircraft are on display. CHESAPEAKE Just downriver from Norfolk, Chesapeake has a conference center, small meeting spaces in 16 hotels, more than 4,000 hotel rooms and about 90 restaurants. The city recently gained its first microbrew- ery, Big Ugly Brewing Company, featuring a tasting room with vehicle-oriented décor. MEETING SPACES AND HOTELS Chesapeake Conference Center, conveniently located near the interstate and just 15 minutes from Norfolk International Airport, has 39,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space and its own gourmet culinary staff. The Chesapeake Marriott, a 225-room property located adjacent to the center, has a restaurant, lounge and lobby bar, as well as 12,000 square feet of meeting space. Other lodging options include a Hyatt Place, a Hilton Garden Inn, a Hampton Inn & Suites, a Wingate by Wyndham, a Courtyard by Marriott and an Aloft. n Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway in Chesapeake Visit Chesapeake

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - JUN 2015