ConventionSouth

SEP 2016

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/729681

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 38 of 59

S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 6 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 39 L O U I S I A N A Louisiana's Northshore is aptly named. The appealing area sits on the northern shore appealing area sits on the northern shore of Louisiana's famed Lake Pontchartrain, connected by several bridged roadways to downtown New Orleans, just 45 minutes away. "Louisiana's Northshore, also known as St. Tammany Parish, has charming towns and relaxing green spaces that offer afford- able meetings away from the hectic pace of the big city," said Tanya Leader, vice presi- dent of sales for the St. Tammany Tourist & Convention Commission. "St. Tammany's great outdoors really are great. There are 80,000 acres of nature preserve, scenic bay- ous and lakefront vistas. It's an ideal meet- ing destination, offering direct access via three major interstates: I-10, I-12 and I-59. And airports in Baton Rouge, New Orleans And airports in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and on the Mississippi Gulf Coast are all less than an hour away." St. Tammany Parish has more than 2,900 hotel rooms, including the boutique 40-room Southern Hotel, which was closed for de- Southern Hotel, which was closed for de- cades but underwent extensive renovations and updating and re-opened two years ago. The Southern Hotel's meeting space accom- The Southern Hotel's meeting space accom- modates up to 55 people in the Olympia Room. The ballroom can accommodate 150 for banquet service or up to 250 for a recep- tion. An additional space can host 80 and there is also a New Orleans-style courtyard. The parish also offers educa- tional entertainment at the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum in Madisonville and a vibrant art scene in Covington, which is centered on a six-block stretch of Columbia Street. In addition to the galleries, downtown Covington also presents monthly art walks, Spring for Art and Fall for Art, and the Three Rivers Arts Festival, a two- day juried art celebration featuring 200 art- ists that draws 50,000 visitors. Meanwhile, in Slidell, the new Fremaux Town Center offers an agreeable concen- tration of shopping and dining options. It's at the second I-10 exit northeast of New Orleans, less than five miles away from Orleans, less than five miles away from the area's primary convention center, The Northshore Harbor Center. "Groups of 350 people or less, who want to escape from the big city but still have all the amenities, should consider Louisiana's Northshore," said Leader. "The Louisiana Northshore / St. Tammany Parish CVB offers complimentary assistance in site and facility coordination, off-site leisure-activity planning, welcome bags and speaker gifts. Let us customize your next meeting." Additional Northshore Meeting Spaces • Northshore Harbor Center: 45,000 square feet of versatile meeting space; 18,000 square feet of exhibit space; large outdoor green space • Castine Center: 28,000 square feet of multi-purpose area multi-purpose area • Fleur de Lis Event Center: event space for up to 500 people in Mandeville • MovieSets: 10,000 square feet of meet- ing space in Slidell; performance stage; unique space with authentic movie props and sets used in movies filmed in Louisi- and sets used in movies filmed in Louisi- ana • Clarion Inn and Conference Center: 8,500 square feet of meeting space in Covington; four meeting rooms; 155 guest rooms B R E A K O U T S P O T L I G H T : Louisiana's Northshore/ St. Tammany Parish Northshore Harbor Center Contact: www.LouisianaNorthshore.com/CS Credit Louisiana Northshore Northshore-IPW at Movisets

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - SEP 2016