ConventionSouth

AUG 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/565073

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 41 of 111

⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ 2 0 1 5 / 2 0 1 6 M E E T I N G S I T E S G U I D E w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 42 Bluegrass music, bourbon and magnificent thoroughbreds abound in the Bluegrass State. The rugged terrain of the Appalachians provides trails to hike and bike, while Mammoth Cave National Park, the longest cave system in the world, encompasses more than 400 miles of caves to explore. Scenic lakes offer spots for paddle boarding and kayaking. Sunset canoe trips and Dinner with the Hummingbirds are popular group events in the Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. Appalachian folk art is featured at local festivals and shops around the state, as well as at beautiful venues such as the Kentucky Museum of Art. Daniel Boone Country has many historic attractions and natural wonders to captivate the mind with the legends surrounding the famous pioneer and his life as a frontiersman. For a more cosmopolitan experience, world-class spas such as CaloSpa Rejuvenation Center in Louisville and Lexington, and fine shopping and dining in cities all across the state make Kentucky a place for every taste. Encounter Lexington's Thoroughbreds At the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, equine enthusiasts get a firsthand look at some of the finest horses in the world, including thoroughbreds that race in the Kentucky Derby. A horse farm and educational theme park, horseback and pony rides are available March 15 through Nov. 1. Other attractions include Horse Farm Tours, Horse-Drawn Tours, the Rein of Nobility and the Show Jumping Hall of Fame and Museum. Legendary thoroughbreds that call the park home, including Da Hoss, Funny Cide and Go For Gin, can be viewed in the Hall of Champions. Race Toward Kentucky Derby Action In Louisville Churchill Downs is the world- famous home of the Kentucky Derby. Sip on an Old Forester mint julep while experiencing first-class thoroughbred horseracing in a reserved box seat, Millionaires Row or a Jockey Club Suite. In the private Stakes, Aristides and Director's rooms, guests have views of the Finish Line and historic Twin Spires, and receive top-rate hospitality service. Up the ante in your group experience with the Trophy Presentation where attendees enter the Winner's Circle and have a race named for the group; participants get to watch the saddling before the race. Reserved trackside seating for the race and the honor of presenting the winning owner, trainer or jockey with the trophy engraved with the group's name are part of the package. The Kentucky Derby Museum is also housed at Churchill Downs, featuring memorabilia and the history of the world-renowned race. Several tours are offered, among them the Twilight Tour, Horses and Haunts Tour and the Kentucky Derby Week Tour. n A B C D E F G H I 1 2 3 4 Ashland ................................H2......................44 Bowling Green .....................D3......................44 Carrollton..............................F1......................44 Frankfort ...............................F2......................44 Hopkinsville..........................C4......................44 Lexington..............................F2......................44 Louisville ..............................E2......................44 Morehead ............................G2......................44 Northern Kentucky...............G1......................44 Owensboro ..........................D3......................44 City Map Location Page Kentucky Tune In To Bluegrass Music In Owensboro The International Bluegrass Music Museum features the very best of bluegrass, celebrating the bluegrass community, its festivals, concerts and events through exhibits, the International Bluegrass Music Association's Bluegrass Hall of Fame and even the café with a floor perfect for clogging events. Some of the permanent exhibits include Big Mon featuring Bill Monroe, the Father of Bluegrass Music, and The Timeline of Bluegrass Music. In The Instruments exhibit, visitors can touch instruments and take bluegrass music lessons every Saturday during the fall months of 2015. n A we s o m e R . O. E. Photo: International Bluegrass Music Museum International Bluegrass Music Museum

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - AUG 2015