ConventionSouth

JUL 2016

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/701715

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 41 of 59

⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ J U L Y 2 0 1 6 w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 42 Mississippi E V E N T P L A N N E R ' S G U I D E T O MS S T E E P E D I N H I S T O R Y Mississippi is full of historical treasures, such as Dunleith an ante- bellum mansion in Natchez. Mississippi. Now a 22-room inn listed as a National Historic Landmark, Dunleith was built in 1856 and is surrounded by 40 acres with various other buildings dating back to the 1870s. BY T. WAYNE WATERS Mississippi is as thoroughly steeped in Deep South culture as homemade sweet tea. It's got blues and barbecue, Civil War and civil rights legacies, Elvis and Faulkner, y'all and yessir. But it's also got several good-sized cities and a goodly number of large meeting venues. For those who love the outdoors, Mississippi's warm climate, extensive fishing opportunities, abundant wildlife and natural beauty make the state a year-round destination for outdoor adventure seekers. Meridian Meridian is about 90 miles north of Hatties- burg, 90 miles east of Jackson and not far from the Alabama state line. It's small but has a first-class live-performance and conference venue along with a second smaller conference center. Also, its first downtown hotel is in the works. "Our tourism partners, collectively known as 'Meet in Meridian,' pool our talents and resources to support your efforts in the pro- duction of a most memorable and productive event," said Dede Mogollon, director for Visit Meridian. "An advantage of a small town is the professional relationships we have established with our local vendors." A hotel developer recently purchased the historic Threefoot Building in downtown Meridian and it will be renovated to fly the Courtyard by Marriott flag. The former office

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - JUL 2016