ConventionSouth

SEP 2017

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/876668

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 41 of 67

⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ S E P T E M B E R 2 0 1 7 w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 42 L O U I S I A N A The Jefferson Center for the Performing Arts in Metairie has 1,066 seats and spaces for recep- tions. Jefferson Parish also has many restaurants, a number of which are included on the Louisiana Oyster Trail, and all sorts of fun things to do, such as guided swamp tours, fishing, hiking, historic sight-seeing and dining and dancing at various nightspots. Jefferson Parish Meeting Spaces • The Pontchartrain Center (Kenner): more than 46,000 square feet of column- free exhibit space; 14,680 square feet of meeting space; four meeting rooms; 25,000-square-foot glassed mezzanine lobby; 9,750-square-foot lobby; venue overlooks Lake Pontchartrain; hosts civic events, sport- ing events, concerts, consumer shows and banquets, and can seat 3,700 • John A. Alario, Sr. Event Center at the Bayou Segnette Sports Complex (West- wego): 75,000-square-foot facility; more than 30,000 square feet of floor space in three Grand Halls; 19,250-square-foot exhibition hall; three 1,500-square-foot meeting rooms; and a boardroom; designed to host athletic events, trade shows, concerts, graduations, receptions and other social events; can seat 2,200 • Segnette Baseball Field: adjacent to the Alario Center; features grandstand seating for 650 under a cantilevered roof • NOLA Motorsports Park: 35,000-square- foot indoor venue; 36 outdoor parks/recre- ational facilities • Hilton New Orleans Airport Hotel (Ken- ner): 21,180 square feet of meeting space; 23 meeting rooms; 6,000-square-foot divisible column-free Grand Ballroom; five executive boardrooms; 317 guest rooms Louisiana's Northshore/ St. Tammany Parish Louisiana's Northshore, on the northern shore of Louisiana's famed Lake Pontchartrain, is in St. Tammany Parish, which has 80,000 acres of nature preserve, scenic bayous and lakefront. And it's easy to get to, with direct access via three major interstates: I-10, I-12 and I-59. St. Tammany Parish has 3,000 hotel rooms and is a nice option for events with 350 attendees or less. One of the most popular In addition to two major meeting venues, The Northshore Harbor Center and the Castine Center, and more than 3,000 guest rooms, the northern shore of Lake Ponchartrain offers nine picturesque towns, each with their own attractions and all a short distance (45 min- utes) from New Orleans' French Quarter. Covington has charming streets for shopping and dining. The Southern Hotel, built in 1907 and restored and reopened in 2014, offers 40 guest rooms and two suites. Meeting space includes the 2,160-square-foot Camellia Ballroom, several other small meet- ing rooms and a courtyard that accommo- dates 160. Covington Brewhouse offers free tastings of its craft beers and can be rented for private events. Mandeville features the Northshore Lake Center, a nature preserve with a boardwalk, children's programs and nature activities, located on 400 acres of ancient forest along Bayou Castine, and 2,800-acre Fontainebleau State Park, with miles of nature trails and a sandy beach. Slidell attractions include the Slidell Cul- tural Center, a history, science, and fine art exhibition gallery; the Slidell Museum, with exhibits on the city's history; and the Slidell Little Theater. Madisonville, situated on the banks of the Tchefuncte River, is home to Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum, the 19th -century Tchefuncte River Lighthouse, the Madisonville Museum and historic Otis House, located within Fairview-Riverside State Park. Abita Springs has long drawn people to its healing waters and now draws craft beer lov- ers who enjoy tasting the beers and root beer made by Abita Brewing Company. Tours and tastings are offered at the brewery's new- ly-expanded visitor center. Folsom features the largest free-roaming wildlife preserve in the 900-acre U.S., Global Wildlife, which is home to 4,000 exotic and endangered animals from across the globe. Lacombe is known for the Big Branch Marsh National Wildlife Refuge, with 15,000 acres of pine flatwoods and coastal marsh for birding, hiking and kayaking. Bayou Adven- ture rents fishing gear, kayaks and bicycles. Dining options include La Provence, a Chef John Besh of Food Network fame's destina- tion restaurant, Sal & Judy's, featuring Creole Italian, Char Lou's or Janie Brown's. Pearl River, on the easternmost edge of St. Tammany Parish, features the Pearl River Wildlife Management Area, popular for fish- ing, kayaking and birding, encompassing forest, waterways and the pristine Honey Island Swamp. n B R E A K O U T S P O T L I G H T : Louisiana Northshore/St. Tammany Parish Contact: www.LouisianaNorthshore.com Northshore Harbor Center

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - SEP 2017