ConventionSouth

APR 2015

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/501303

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 43 of 51

w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m NEW HOTELS ON THE HORIZON The Raleigh area is booming with hotel constructon and redevelopment. The Mayton Inn, a Georgian-style, 45-room boutque inn in Cary scheduled to open in fall 2015, combines two historic homes to create 33 rooms and 11 deluxe suites. The 13,000-square-foot first floor will feature a library, a full bar and restaurant, mee3ng rooms and an outdoor terrace area. A high-tech gym and spa will be located on the ground floor. Rooms will have complimentary wireless service, turn-down service, in-room iPads and 42-inch HDTVs. The inn will also offer gourmet hot breakfasts and high teas. Two new Alof Hotels are coming to the market with openings slated for summer. Alof Raleigh, a full- service 135-room hotel, will have a fitness center, outdoor pool, signature restaurant and bar, and 1,600 square feet of mee3ng space. Alof Raleigh-Durham Airport Brier Creek, a 144-room, limited-service hotel located close to RDU, will have a fitness center, indoor pool, bar with food op3ons and 1,600 square feet of mee3ng space. Also in the Brier Creek area, Courtyard Marrio4 and Residence Inn are opening in spring 2015 in a five- story building that houses a 128-room Courtyard by Marrio4 and a 128-room Residence Inn with a shared indoor pool and fitness center. There will be 3,500 square feet of mee3ng room space and a bistro restaurant/bar. Hilton Garden Inn Crabtree Valley, a full-service, 149-room hotel with 6,050 square feet of mee3ng space opens in May just north of downtown Raleigh. n G L O R I O U S F O O D ! According to Jana Rae Oliver of the Greater Raleigh CVB, "Raleigh is known for its award-winning culinary scene, with dozens of chef-driven restaurants popping up, focusing on tradi3onal Southern cuisine and a commitment to fresh ingredients, sourced from local farmers and providers." From vegetarian fare at Fic3on Kitchen and anything-but-humble brunch fare at Humble Pie to elevated French food at St. Jacques, tapas at ORO or steaks at the iconic Angus Barn, Raleigh offers it all. E D I T O R ' S HOT PICKS NORTH CAROLINA TRIANGLE The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metroplex, known as Research Triangle, is home to several universities and has numerous arts, history and sports venues to explore. The Greater Raleigh area features many historic landmarks as well as contemporary, cosmopolitan attractions and has a thriving arts community. TOP PICKS: Greater Raleigh CVB (919) 834-5900 http://convention.visitraleigh.com "Whatever sort of meeting you're planning to have, plan on a tech-savvy area rich in intelligence, creativity and expertise." See Ad On Page 16 FOLLOW UP: Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau www.visitchapelhill.org Durham CVB www.durham-nc.com Raleigh Convention Center (919) 831-6011 www.raleighconvention.com NORTH CAROLINA TRIANGLE IN-DEPTH Visit www.ConventionSouth.com for more about the North Carolina Triangle through our interactive Insider's Guide with maps, videos more. ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ A P R I L 2 0 1 5 44 16,000 square feet of flexible space at the Sheraton and 14,000 s quare feet of classically designed meeting space at the Carolina Inn. For larger meetings, the William & Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education is located five minutes from the University of North Carolina and features 25,000 square feet of meeting space and a 420-seat auditorium with a stage. The University of North Carolina facilities host everything from high school tournaments to NCAA basketball and football. The North Carolina High School Athletics Association maintains its headquarters in Chapel Hill and actively hosts championship events such as competitive swimming, lacrosse, softball and wrestling. The Dean Smith Center and new Carolina Basketball Museum offer private group tours. n N C T R I A N G L E Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau Carolina Basketball Museum in Chapel Hill makes a great event space.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - APR 2015