ConventionSouth

JUL 2016

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/701715

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 43 of 59

conference attendees to learn American his- tory, enjoy educational museums and check out the wonder of the Mississippi River," said Ashley Gatian, Visit Vicksburg sales manager. "The Vicksburg Convention Center is currently undergoing renovations. It has a new roof, win- dows and bathroom fixtures, and more renova- tions are currently in planning stages." Downtown Vicksburg offers visitors plenty of good shopping, dining and learning experi- ences, and the city has five museums, as well as some intriguing art galleries. The city has 20 hotels and is best known for its historical importance. "Vicksburg offers history galore," noted Gatian. "The Vicksburg National Military Park is our top attractor and offers wonderful tour- ing options for groups. Guides licensed by the National Park Service are available to conduct tours of the Vicksburg National Military Park and Vicksburg City Tours." Vicksburg Meeting Spaces • Vicksburg Convention Center: 17,000 square feet of exhibit space; eight meeting rooms; award-winning Palmertree Catering service • Vicksburg Auditorium: 35,520 square feet of event space; five meeting rooms; live-per- formance space Tupelo Located in the hills of Northeast Mississippi, Tupelo is famous as the birthplace of Elvis and as the approximate site of significant Civil War campaigns. Tupelo has the exceptionally pop- ular Brices Cross Roads National Battlefield, a one-acre site maintained by the National Park Service. The Bethany Cemetery, where 95 Confederate soldiers are buried, is adjacent to the battlefield. An additional 1,400 acres sur- rounding the one-acre site have been purchased for preservation and further development is un- derway. Four miles east of the battlefield site in Baldwyn is the Brice's Crossroads Visitors and Interpretive Center. The center offers an inter- pretive exhibit featuring Civil War artifacts, a battlefield diorama and interactive exhibits. Tupelo is also home to a 37,000-square-foot multi-use arena, about 2,000 sleeping rooms, the home where The King was born, the 1956 Elvis' Homecoming Statue, an appealing downtown with unique specialty stores and the historic Lyric Theatre, home to the acclaimed Tupelo Community Theatre. ► ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ J U L Y 2 0 1 6 w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 44 M I S S I S S I P P I Jackson, located in the central part of the state, is the capital city of Mississippi and the Magnolia State's largest city as well. "The area itself, its location, is perfectly centralized in the Southeast, which makes it easily accessible and highly affordable," noted Wanda Collier-Wilson, CEO and president of Visit Jackson. "The location – coupled with genuine hospitality of the people of Jackson, great food and music – makes it the perfect place!" Jackson's attractions include an inter- esting mix of cultural sites including the Smith Robertson Museum and Cultural Center, Jackson Zoo, Mississippi Museum of Natural Science and the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. The Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum are slated for a grand opening next year. The new state-of-the-art facilities will share a common lobby, tourism center and under- ground parking garage. Jackson offers 4,600 sleeping rooms, nearly 2,000 of them downtown, in 46 hotels. The city also boasts some 300 restaurants. This summer will see a new 95-suite Residence Inn by Marriott in Jackson. A new 205-room Westin Hotel with 12,000 square feet of meeting space is expected to be completed by Spring 2017. Two other hotels are slated for completion within the next couple of years. Whitney Place will be a 111-room Hampton Inn property with 6,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor and a local restaurant on the top floor. The Fondren will have 103 rooms and feature a rooftop bar. Jackson Meeting Spaces • Jackson Convention Complex: 330,000-square-foot facility; 150,000 square feet of flexible meeting space; LEED certified as a green facility • Jackson Marriott Downtown: 11,350 square feet of meeting space; 303 guest rooms; restaurant • Hilton Jackson: 8,100 square feet of meeting space; 273 guest rooms; restaurant n Visit Jackson Mississippi B R E A K O U T S P O T L I G H T : Jackson Contact: www.visitjackson.com Jackson Convention Center

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - JUL 2016