ConventionSouth

FEB 2017

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/784674

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 44 of 51

F E B R U A R Y 2 0 1 7 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 45 Oklahoma E V E N T P L A N N E R ' S G U I D E T O OK T U L S A S K Y L I N E : Oklahoma's second-largest city is a haven of Southern comfort and cosmopolitan style. Enriched by its oil heritage, Tulsa boasts world- class cultural attractions, art deco treasures, Route 66 gems and the new Cesar Pelli-de- signed BOK Center, a state-of-the-art venue for national concerts and sporting events. Family fun also prevails in T-Town, home of the high- ly-rated Tulsa Zoo, while the city's Arkansas River trails and outdoor recreation areas offer outdoor respites from all the urban excitement. BY D. FRAN MORLEY Planners who want to add Western adventure and culture, diverse outdoor attractions and experiences, and a touch of history to their next event should look no further than Oklahoma, according to the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department. Centrally located, Oklahoma has both large cosmopolitan cities and quaint small towns, with hotels, conference facilities and venues suitable for any type of group event, from small gatherings to conferences for several thousand guests. Tulsa Tulsa's "renaissance of downtown growth and development" just keeps expanding, said Vanesa Masucci, vice president of Visit- Tulsa. "Several projects in or near downtown are nearing completion or have just been announced," she said. "The George Kaiser Family Foundation is leading an effort to sig- nificantly enhance Tulsa's River Parks with the addition of A Gathering Place, which is being built with the largest private donation in the history of the United States." Details are still being completed but the development will con- nect three adjacent waterfront parcels to the ex- isting system, creating a broad and active civic commons, with places for meetings, events and activities, she said. Hotels completing major renovations in the city include the Hyatt Regency Tulsa, where an $8 million project is upgrading all 444 guest rooms as well as public spaces. DoubleTree by Hilton Tulsa Downtown recently completed an $11.7 million renovation to all meeting space, lobby and front-desk areas, and guest rooms. This includes installation of a $300,000 state-of the-art sound system and upgrades to all meeting rooms, including enhanced Wi-Fi. Tulsa's Ambassador Hotel recently completed a $2 million renovation and remains the city's "prominent meeting destination, complementing its stately ambiance with state-of-the-art venues and impeccable service," Masucci said. ►

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - FEB 2017