ConventionSouth

OCT 2017

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/887508

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 51 of 67

⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ O C T O B E R 2 0 1 7 w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 52 E V E N T P L A N N E R ' S G U I D E T O GA A R T I N T H E G A R D E N Created for the Atlanta Botanical Garden in 2004, Dale Chihuly's Parterre Fountain Installation is a one-of-a-kind sculpture in blue and white, interpreting shapes and colors of water, ice and sky. A captivating assemblage of twisting, brightly colored glass, the sculpture sparkles in Levy Par- terre Fountain, where it is especially lovely lit up after dark. Visitors can now see it sparkle from a whole new perspective; the top of the recently renovated Alston Overlook. Several other types of sculptures by various artists decorate the expansive gardens, which offer popular spots for special events. BY T. WAYNE WATERS Big-City Culture, Sports & Outdoor Diversity From the big-city lights of Atlanta to North Georgia's quaint mountain villages and the state's historic coast, meeting planners will find an endless supply of offerings and ideas to choose from. Diverse cultural experiences, history dating back to some of the nation's earliest wars and Georgia wine country tours are among the experiences available. Albany The Southwestern Georgia city of Albany, along- side the Flint River, offers options for modestly sized conferences, trade shows or special events. The city is home to the 46,000-square-foot Al- bany Civic Center, a municipal auditorium and more than 200 hotels. Albany also has an array of smaller venues for conferences or receptions, including meeting rooms at Albany State Univer- sity, Albany Technical College, Darton State Col- lege, State Theater, Thronateeska Heritage Center and Merry Acres Inn & Event Center. In addition to the Civic Center, the Albany Municipal Auditorium, built in 1915 and recently restored, can accommodate up to 965 people on its three levels. The facility is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hilton Garden Inn Albany has 13,000 square feet of meeting space and eight meeting rooms. Conference attendees can also enjoy Alba- ny's recreational elements, including the Flint RiverQuarium, which offers interactive exhibits and encounters with aquatic life native to South Georgia, as well as Imagination Theater, where science and nature films are presented on a huge screen. Thronateeska Heritage Center has a his- tory museum, science museum, rail-car display, a 40-foot full-dome HD planetarium, the Georgia Museum of Surveying & Mapping and the South Georgia Archives. The city also boasts the Al- bany Civil Rights Institute and Radium Springs Gardens. Albany Venues: • Albany Civic Center: 10,400-seat audito- Georgia

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - OCT 2017