ConventionSouth

JUL 2016

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/701715

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 51 of 59

⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ J U L Y 2 0 1 6 w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 52 West Virginia E V E N T P L A N N E R ' S G U I D E T O WV F U L L M O O N O V E R C H A R L E S T O N West Virginia's capital and largest city, Charleston is located at the confluence of the Elk and Kanawha Rivers. While the city has a population of approximately 51,000, the metropolitan area includes about 225,000 residents. BY D. FRAN MORLEY West Virginia has a unique history. While south of the Ohio River, it is the only state to have formed by seceding from a Confederate state during the Civil War. A border state during the war, West Virginia was admitted to the Union in 1863. Rich with history of all kinds, the Mountain State also is rich in scenic beauty with the rolling Blue Ridge Mountains split by deep river valleys. It's no wonder that singer John Denver called it "almost heaven" in his 1971 hit "Take Me Home, Country Roads," which was named a West Virginia State Song in 2014.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - JUL 2016