ConventionSouth

JUL 2017

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/846895

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 56 of 67

J U L Y 2 0 1 7 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 57 M I S S I S S I P P I According to Visit Oxford Deputy Director Kinney Ferris, the town's newest hotels with event space bring the city's total number of sleep- ing rooms to about 1,000. Courtyard Oxford, a 120-room Courtyard by Marriott property, opened last summer, has 5,800 square feet of event space. Graduate Oxford, a boutique 136-room prop- erty, opened in late 2015. Along with 2,000 square feet of meeting space, the property's ame- nities include a rooftop terrace bar, a coffee shop and casual eatery. Addiitional Oxford Venues • The Oxford Conference Center: 25,000 square feet of meeting and event space • The E. F. Yerby Conference Center: ac- commodates up to 140 • The Inn at Ole Miss: 10,000 square feet of meeting space; 146 guest rooms DeSoto County/ Southhaven About 13 miles from Memphis and six miles from Memphis International Airport, Southaven is home to a thriving agritourism scene, historic attractions and Arkabutla Lake and Horn Lake. A small city of about 50,000, Southaven is home to the Landers Center, a 225,000-square- foot multipurpose facility that received a new roof, underwent an extensive technology upgrade, added new mobile video walls for use in confer- ences and throughout the facility's concourse, and added flat-screen TVs in the arena. Area attractions also include The Jerry Lee Lewis Ranch & Museum, which recently began offering tours. In the works is Veterans Park, which will feature commemorative markers, em- blems and flags representing each branch of the military, a Walk of Honor and other displays. Additional DeSoto County Venues • Landers Center: 225,000 square feet of event space; 17,000-square-foot exhibit hall; 8,400- seat multipurpose arena; 400-seat theater • Whispering Woods Hotel & Conference Center: 47,000 square feet of meeting space; four ballrooms; 24 meeting rooms; 175 guest rooms; located in Olive Branch Tupelo Tupelo, the birthplace of Elvis, has added a new exhibit, Reflections, created by the Elvis Presley Memorial Foundation. This is the 15th memorial the King's birthplace now offers. Others include the Elvis Presley Museum and the Elvis Presley Event Center. "The same Southern town that enabled Elvis to dream big is still inspiring people today," said Jan Pannell, sales manager for meetings and group tour for the Tupelo CVB. "We want to inspire your next meeting in Tupelo. We have handled meetings of 10 to 10,000 in Tupelo and we look forward to tailoring our special services to meet any group's unique needs. Anything is possible in Tupelo." Tupelo's historic park, Brices Crossroads Na- tional Battlefield,is a one-acre site maintained by the National Park Service. An additional 1,400 acres surrounding the site have been purchased for preservation and further development is un- derway. Other recreational opportunities include the Tupelo Automobile Museum, Tupelo Buffalo Park & Zoo and the Natchez Trace Parkway Vis- itor's Center. The Coop Restaurant at Graduate Oxford Hotel overlooks the city of Oxford. Sailing on a DeSoto County Lake

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - JUL 2017