ConventionSouth

MAY 2017

ConventionSouth magazine is the leading resource for meeting planners who book all types of events, conventions, conferences and group travel in the south.

Issue link: http://conventionsouth.epubxp.com/i/821049

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 68 of 85

M A Y 2 0 1 7 ⎜ ConventionSouth ⎜ w w w . c o n v e n t i o n s o u t h . c o m 67 Virginia E V E N T P L A N N E R ' S G U I D E T O VA A L E X A N D R I A W A T E R F R O N T : Use of Alexandria's waterfront as a landing site for early explorers and a port for commercial trade dates back to the 1600s. Today, groups can gather here to enjoy stunning views of the Potomac River and D.C. monuments, hop on a Potomac Riverboat Company cruise, or dine at one of many waterfront restaurants. Coming soon is Alexandria's first waterfront hotel, Hotel Indigo. BY T. WAYNE WATERS The Commonwealth of Virginia offers a varied landscape, from mountain range to seashore, and a culturescape that ranges from historical sites to modern metropolises to coastal paradise. It encompasses great wine regions and a large — and growing — number of distilleries, breweries and cideries, along with stretches of beach and exceptional Mid-Atlantic seafood. Its clas- sic nickname, Old Dominion, denotes Virginia's status as the territory of the first American colony of the British Empire. NORTHERN VIRGINIA (NOVA) Northern Virginia, often referred to as NOVA, is the ever-evolving and varied region of Old Dominion adjacent to the nation's capital. Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax County are among the region's population centers. All the NOVA destination marketing organizations are excited about the newest and upcoming D.C. museums. The Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture opened in September 2016 and is very popular. The Museum of the Bible is scheduled to open in November of this year. Alexandria Alexandria is less than 10 miles due south of D.C., along the Potomac River, which explains its "Port City" nickname. It's easy to reach, with The Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport just a couple of miles away and five Amtrak stops. Once you are there, the Virginia Railway Express provides service to Washing- ton, D.C.'s Union Station and there are four Metrorail stations that will take you anywhere in the greater D.C. area, along with trolleys, bus services and water taxis. Old Town Alexandria is a nationally recog- nized historic district with architecture, cobble- stone streets and red brick sidewalks that also boasts more than 200 independent restaurants and shops along with its waterfront and mu- seums. Many of the area's historic sites are ► Photo courtesy of Cameron Davidson /CameronDavidson.com. Virginia Tourism Corp.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of ConventionSouth - MAY 2017